A 37 year-old Estevan male is facing a total of 15 charges after police investigation last night into a recent robbery.
Just minutes after midnight on Wednesday, January 6, 2021, officers were dispatched to a business location in the 700 block of Victoria Avenue when a caller indicated she had spotted a car stolen from her three days earlier in a robbery. The complainant also said the suspect may have access to a firearm in the vehicle. Several police units went to the location and were able to find the suspect inside the business. He was arrested without incident. A search of the stolen vehicle yielded two firearms (one a sawed-off shotgun), ammunition, two bags of substances later confirmed to be cocaine and fentanyl, five cellphones and cash. Officers learned that the suspect was on several court-ordered conditions, among them a firearms prohibition. Further investigation led to numerous charges.
Thirty-seven year-old Gregory Bruce POWELL, of Estevan, is charged with:
- Careless Use of a Firearm (sawed-off shotgun) [86(1) CC];
- Possession of a Weapon for a Dangerous Purpose [88 CC];
- Unauthorized Possession of a Prohibited Weapon in a Motor Vehicle [94(1) CC];
- Possession of a Prohibited Firearm with Ammunition [95(1)(a) CC];
- Breach of Undertaking [145(5)(a) CC];
- 3 X Possession of Firearm or Ammunition Contrary to Order [117.0191) CC];
- Possession of Firearm, Knowing its Possession is Unauthorized [92(1) CC];
- Tampering with Serial Number on a Firearm [108(1)(a) CC];
- Armed Robbery Using a Prohibited Firearm [344(1)(a) CC];
- Possession of Property Obtained by Crime under $5,000 [355(b) Cc];
- Possession of a Scheduled Substance (cocaine) [4(1) CDSA];
- Possession of a Scheduled Substance (fentanyl) [4(1) CDSA];
- Possession of a Scheduled Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking [5(2) CDSA].
POWELL made his first court appearance on these charges in Provincial Court at 2:00 p.m. (today), Wednesday, January 6, 2021.