An adult male and adult female are facing a total of 27 drugs-and-weapons-related charges following a traffic stop in our city yesterday (Tuesday, March 23rd).
On Tuesday, March 23, 2021, just before 11:00 a.m., a member of the Regina Police Service Property Crimes Unit noted a suspicious vehicle: a green Jeep Patriot. Initial investigation indicated a discrepancy between the description of the vehicle owner and the male observed to be driving the vehicle. The officer requested Patrol members conduct a traffic stop on the vehicle to continue the investigation. The Jeep was stopped, without incident, at 4th Avenue and King Street. The male driver of the vehicle was found to be breaching a probation order prohibiting him from driving; he was also a suspended driver, with no operator’s license. As a second officer dealt with a female passenger seated in the Jeep, he noted a black bag under the passenger seat. The bag contained a firearm; the passenger was also placed under arrest. Further investigation and search led to the recovery of a sawed-off .22 calibre rifle, a loaded magazine with .22 calibre ammunition, a box of 9-millimetre ammunition, drugs and drug-trafficking paraphernalia. Both suspects were charged.
Twenty-six year-old Patrick Robert ASHAM and 34 year-old Francine Alexandra O’WATCH, both of Regina, are jointly charged with:
- Possession of a Firearm, Knowing its Possession is Unauthorized [92(1) CC];
- Possession of a Prohibited or Restricted Firearm with Ammunition [95(1)(a) CC];
- Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm in a Motor Vehicle [94(1) CC];
- Carrying Concealed Weapon [90 CC];
- Store Firearm Contrary to Regulations [86(2) CC];
- Possession of a Weapon for a Purpose Dangerous to Public Peace [88 CC];
- Possession of a Scheduled Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking (methamphetamine) [5(2) CDSA];
- Possession of a Scheduled Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking (cocaine) [5(2) CDSA];
- Possession of a Scheduled Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking (fentanyl) [5(2) CDSA]; and
- Possession of a Scheduled Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking (alprazolam/xanax) [5(2) CDSA].
In addition, Francine O’WATCH is charged with:
- Possession of Firearm while Prohibited [117.01(1) CC]; and
- Possession of Ammunition while Prohibited [117.01(1) CC].
Also, in addition to the joint charges listed above, Patrick ASHAM is charged with:
- 2 X Possession of Firearm while Prohibited [117.01(1) CC];
- 2 X Possession of Ammunition while Prohibited [117.01(1) CC]; and
- Breach of Probation [733.1(1) CC].
Both ASHAM and O’WATCH made their first court appearances on these charges in Provincial Court today (Wednesday, March 24th) at 9:30 a.m.