A Regina male is facing numerous charges after investigation into multiple criminal occurrences.
On February 3, 2021, shortly after 10:00 p.m., police were dispatched to Ingersol Crescent for the report of a firearms offence. A male was in the street on foot, and another male in a vehicle approached the male. The male on foot discharged a firearm in the direction of the male driver and fled on foot. The male victim was not physically injured.
Police attended and a canine track led to a bag which included firearm ammunition, but no suspects were located. Investigation into the bag led to the identification of the male victim, a 29 year-old Regina male.On February 10, 2021, police received a report of a robbery at a restaurant located on the 5900 block of Rochdale Boulevard. Information received indicated that a male armed with a firearm had demanded money as well as keys to steal a vehicle. The suspect left the restaurant, pointed the firearm at a female vehicle passenger through the vehicle window, demanding they exit the vehicle, and then drove away.
Police received numerous calls for service about the vehicle speeding and running lights. The vehicle ran a red light in front of an RPS traffic member, who activated lights and sirens and went after the vehicle. The vehicle evaded, and hit another car while doing so.
Police received another call of a hit and run at Rae Street and 28th Avenue. The vehicle drove down Lewvan Drive at high rates of speed, running red lights. The vehicle was then abandoned in the west alley of the 800 block of McTavish Street, where a canine track was conducted, but yielded negative results.
Further police investigation led to the 29 year-old male, also wanted for the aforementioned attempted murder. The male was arrested on February 12, 2021, in Morse, Saskatchewan by RCMP on unrelated matter.
Further investigation found the male to be responsible for recent thefts of an automobile, a license plate from another automobile, and theft of fuel from a gas bar. On March 12, 2021, the male was arrested from the PCC.
Twenty-nine year-old Thomas Kenneth Robert CHARTRAND, of Regina, is charged with:
- Attempt murder using a firearm [CC 239(1)(A.1)];
- Possess firearm/ammunition contrary to prohibition order [CC 117.01(1)];
- Careless use of firearm [CC 86(1)];
- Reckless discharge of a firearm [CC 244.2(1)(B)];
- Possession of a weapon [CC 88];
- Carry concealed weapon [CC 90];
- Unauthorized possession of a firearm [CC 91(1)]’
- Possess firearm knowing its possession unauthorized [CC 92(1)]
- Possession of prohibited firearm with ammunition [CC 95(1)(A)]
- Robbery [CC 344(1)(b)]; x 2;
- Attempt Robbery [CC 344(1)(b)];
- Use of an imitation firearm while committing the indictable offence of robbery [CC 85(2)(b)];
- Flight from police [CC 320.17];
- Hit and run [CC 320.16] X 2;
- Drive while prohibited [CC 320.18(1)(a)];
- Dangerous drive [CC 320.13(1)];
- Theft of automobile [CC333.1(1)]; and
- Theft under $5,000 [CC 334(b)]; x 2.
CHARTRAND made his first appearance on these charges in Provincial Court today, March 15, 2021 at 9:30 a.m.