Two Regina males are facing numerous drug and weapons charges following a traffic stop in the early hours of Monday, March 29, 2021.
Just before 1:00 a.m. on Monday, March 29, 2021, police officers observed a yellow Monte Carlo driving erratically in the area of 5th Avenue and Angus Street. Officers maintained view of the vehicle as it parked at a residence in the 1200 block of Garnet Street. A male driver and male passenger got out of the car. Police were able to detain the two individuals as a Canine team tracked from the parked vehicle to a loaded, sawed-off shotgun in the yard. Both were arrested for possession of a weapon dangerous to public peace. Further investigation revealed both were subjects of warrants. A search of the vehicle yielded quantities of substances later confirmed to be drugs, as well as paraphernalia associated with drug trafficking. As a result of enforcement, both suspects were charged.
Fifty-five year-old Lawrence David NESKAR, and 29 year-old Sidney Chad Frank SCHERLE, both of Regina, are jointly charged with:
– Careless Use of a Firearm [86(1) CC];
– Possession of a Weapon for a Purpose Dangerous to Public Peace (sawed-off shotgun) [88 CC];
– Unauthorized Possession of a Prohibited Device in a Motor Vehicle [94(1)(a)(ii) CC];
– Possession of a Prohibited Firearm with Ammunition [95(1)(a) CC];
– Possession of a Scheduled Substance (methamphetamine) for the Purpose of Trafficking [5(2) CDSA];
– Possession of a Scheduled Substance (hydromorphone) for the Purpose of Trafficking [5(2) CDSA]; and
– Possession of a Scheduled Substance (fentanyl) for the Purpose of Trafficking [5(2) CDSA].
In addition Lawrence NESKAR is charged with:
– Possession of a Firearm Knowing its Possession is Unauthorized [92(1) CC]; and
– 10 X Possession of a Firearm or Ammunition Contrary to Prohibition [117.01(1) CC].
Also, Sidney SCHERLE is facing additional charges of:
– Shoplifting under $5,000 [334(b) CC]; and
– Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm [91(1) CC].
Both NESKAR and SCHERLE will make their first court appearances on these charges before Provincial Court this afternoon, Monday March 29, 2021, at 1:30 p.m.