A 36 year-old Regina male is facing a dozen charges after an early-morning police investigation led to the discovery of a firearm, ammunition, and other weapons.
On Thursday, May 27, 2021, at approximately 1:49 a.m., patrol officers were dispatched to the 800 block of East Victoria Avenue for a report of a parked vehicle that had been running for hours. Police arrived and located a male, asleep in the driver’s seat. There was an open bottle of alcohol on the passenger side of the car. The male was advised he was under arrest and as he got out of the car, officers saw a large axe. A search of the vehicle located a 9mm. handgun, a loaded magazine, a knife, cell phones and more alcohol. Investigation revealed the handgun was stolen and the driver was found to be on conditions not to possess firearms. The male was subsequently charged and held for court.
Thirty-six year-old Andrew Jay ANDERSON, of Regina, is charged with:
– Unsafe Storage of Firearm, s. 86(2) CC;
– Carrying Concealed Weapon, s. 90 CC;
– Possession of a Firearm Knowing its possession is unauthorized, s. 92(1) CC;
– Unauthorized Possession of a Prohibited Device or Ammunition in a Motor Vehicle, s. 94(1)(a)(ii);
– Possession of a Prohibited or Restricted Firearm with Ammunition, s. 95(1)(a) CC;
– 4 X Possession of Firearm or Ammunition Contrary to Prohibition, s. 117.01(1) CC;
– Fail to Comply with Conditions of Release Order, s. 145(5)(a) CC;
– Possession of a Weapon for a Purpose dangerous to Public Peace, s. 88 CC; and
– Possession of Firearm, Knowing it was Obtained by Commission of an Offence, s. 96(1) CC.
ANDERSON made his first court appearance on these charges before Provincial Court at 1:30 p.m. on Thursday, May 27, 2021.