On Friday, August 13, 2021, at approximately 4:50 p.m., police observed a male standing in a busy driving lane on Saskatchewan Drive near Broad Street in front of a vehicle with its hood up. Police activated emergency equipment in order to pull in behind to assist the male, and the male ran away. Police exited the vehicle and pursued the male on foot, who was located and arrested in a hotel parking lot.
A search revealed a firearm, ammunition, a knife, and a substance believed to be methamphetamine. The 37 year-old male was identified and found to be in breach of conditions of a release order.
Thirty-seven year-old Gregory Bruce POWELL, of Estevan, is charged with:
- Possession of a Weapon [CC 88];
- 2 X Carry Concealed Weapon [CC 90];
- Careless Storage of Firearm [CC 86(2)];
- Possession of a Firearm Knowing Its Possession Unauthorized [CC 92(1)];
- Possession of a Restricted Firearm With Ammunition [CC 95(1)(A)];
- Tampering With A Serial Number of a Firearm [CC 108(1)(A)];
- 2 X Possession of Firearm/Ammunition Contrary to Prohibition Order [CC 117.01(1)];
- Possession of Property Obtained by Crime Under $5,000 [CC 355(B)];
- Possession of a Scheduled Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking (methamphetamine) [CDSA(2)]; and
- Fail to Comply With Release Order [CC 145(5)(A)].
POWELL made his first appearance on these charges in Provincial Court this morning, Monday, August 16, 2021 at 9:30 a.m.