Two Regina males are facing drug and firearms charges after a police operation and investigation into drug trafficking in the city of Regina.
On Wednesday, August 18, 2021, a CDSA (Controlled Drugs and Substances Act) search warrant was authorized for police to conduct a search at a residence in the 1400 block of Cameron Street. Investigators believed there was a potential for firearms in the residence, so a request was made to have the Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) team assist in order to safely execute the warrant. There were nine people who exited the residence; seven were released with no further police action required. Two adult males were arrested for drug trafficking. The search of the residence yielded a ledger (record of drug transactions), drugs (methamphetamine and psilocybin), cash, and two firearms. A search of one of the males yielded a quantity of substance believed to be fentanyl. The two males were subsequently charged.
Fifty-six year-old Daniel Wayne BIRKBECK, of Regina, is charged with:
- Careless use of a firearm (improper storage), s. 86(1) CC;
- Possession of a weapon for a purpose dangerous to public peace, s. 88 CC;
- 2 X Possession of a firearm knowing its possession is unauthorized, s. 92(1) CC;
- Possession of a scheduled substance (methamphetamine) for the purpose of trafficking, s. 5(2) CDSA;
- Possession of a scheduled substance (psilocybin), s. 4(1) CDSA; and
- Possession of proceeds of property obtained by crime under $5,000, s. 355(b).
Forty-two year-old Alan Matthew KYLE, of Regina, is charged with Possession of a scheduled substance (fentanyl), section 4(1) CDSA.
Both BIRKBECK and KYLE made their first court appearances on these charges in Provincial Court at 2:00 p.m. on Thursday, August 19, 2021.