An alleged assault, an attempt to flee on a bicycle, and a brief struggle with police led to the discovery of a loaded, sawed-off .22 calibre rifle and several charges for a 32 year-old Regina male.
Last night, (Monday) September 20, 2021, at approximately 8:50 p.m., officers were dispatched to the 1600 block of Ottawa Street for a report of a weapons offence involving a knife. Early information indicated one male with a knife was confronting another male. Police were nearby and saw a male, matching the suspect description, fleeing on a bicycle. An officer on foot tackled the suspect male off the bicycle and knocked him to the ground. The suspect was taken into custody after a brief struggle. The suspect was found to be in possession of a sawed-off .22 calibre rifle and ammunition, as well as other knives and B&E tools. The suspect male was also found to be in breach of an 810 recognizance and a firearms prohibition. The male was taken to hospital for treatment and later charged.
Thirty-two year-old Jarvais Darnell COTE, of Regina, is charged with:
- Careless use of a firearm, weapon or prohibited device, [86(1) CC];
- Possession of a weapon for a purpose dangerous to public peace, [88 CC];
- Carrying concealed weapon, [90 CC];
- Possession of a firearm knowing its possession is unauthorized, [92(1) CC];
- Possession of a prohibited or restricted firearm with ammunition, [95(1)(a) CC;
- Possession of a firearm obtained by crime, [96(1) CC];
- Obstruct peace officer, [129(a) CC];
- Possession of firearm or ammunition contrary to prohibition order, [117.01(1) CC];
- Assault, [266 CC]; and
- 2 X Breach of recognizance, [811 CC].
Jarvais Darnell COTE made his first court appearance on these charges in Provincial Court at 2:00 p.m. on Tuesday, September 21, 2021.