A 29 year-old male is facing several charges as the result of police investigation into a Break and Enter in Regina which occurred when the resident was at home.
On Friday, November 19, at about 7:20 a.m., police were dispatched to a weapons call at a house in the 6700 block of Dewdney Avenue. The female resident of the house reported an unknown male with an edged weapon had just come through her front door. Minutes later when another resident came home, the suspect initially locked him outside and then allegedly threatened him with the edged weapon (a sword). As police arrived the suspect was trying to flee in a taxicab, but was intercepted by police. The suspect tried to flee but was apprehended by a canine team. Further investigation led to the recovery of weapons and a quantity of a controlled substance, believed to be fentanyl.
Twenty-nine year-old John Edward DESMARAIS, of Regina, is charged with:
- Break and Enter with Intent, s. 348(1)(a) CC;
- Possession of a Controlled Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking, s. 5(2) CDSA;
- Assault with a Weapon, s. 267(a) CC;
- Uttering Threats, s. 264.1(1)(a); and
- Possession of Weapons Dangerous to Public Peace, s. 88 CC.
DESMARAIS made his first court appearance on these charges in Provincial Court at 2:00 p.m. on Friday, November 19, 2021.