Two adult males are charged in connection with weapons offences in an investigation that started with a traffic stop by patrol officers.
At approximately 12:45 a.m., on Monday January 10, 2022, patrol officers conducted a stop of a vehicle in the 1200 block of Albert Street. In plain view, on the front passenger seat, officers spotted a firearm. Two males were removed from the vehicle and a more thorough search of the vehicle was carried out. Officers found a large hunting knife under the passenger seat. One of the males allegedly provided a false name to police. After more investigation, both males were charged.
Thirty-four year-old Joshua John BIRD, of Kamloops BC, is charged with:
- Unauthorized possession of a firearm, s. 91(1) CC; and
- Unauthorized possession of a firearm in a motor vehicle, s. 94(1) CC.
Twenty-two year-old Walker Jeffrey RENNIE, of the Punnichy District, is charged with:
- Breach of Probation, 733.1(1) CC;
- Unauthorized possession of a firearm, s. 91(1) CC;
- Unauthorized possession of a firearm in a motor vehicle, s. 94(1) CC;
- Obstruction (false name), s. 129(a) CC;
- Possession of a firearm knowing its possession is unauthorized, s. 92(1) CC;
- Possession of a weapon (machete) for a purpose dangerous to public peace, s. 88 CC;
- Breach of release order, s. 145(5)(a) CC; and
- Possession of a firearm contrary to prohibition, s. 117.01(1) CC.
Both BIRD and RENNIE BIRD made their first court appearances on these charges in Provincial Court at 2:00 p.m. on Tuesday, January 11, 2022.