A weekend firearms call was resolved peacefully on Sunday, with one male now facing numerous weapons charges.
On Sunday, April 24, 2022, at about 11:00 a.m., police were dispatched to an apartment in the 100 block of Rink Avenue for a firearms complaint. Early information indicated a male, inside one of the apartments, was in possession of a handgun and was threatening to shoot someone. Police set up a safety perimeter around the building and contacted the male suspect by phone, encouraging him to come out and allow himself to be taken into custody. The male complied and exited the building; he was arrested without incident. There were no other occupants inside the suite. A search warrant was obtained for the apartment, which yielded a .22 calibre semi-automatic handgun, numerous rounds of ammunition, and a loaded magazine for the handgun. The male was found to be on a release order prohibiting him from possessing any firearms.
Forty year-old Shelby MIRZA (male), of Regina, is charged with:
– Unauthorized Possession of a Prohibited or Restricted Weapon, s. 91(2) CC;
– Possession of a Prohibited or Restricted Weapon Knowing its Possession is Unauthorized, s. 92(2) CC;
– Possession of a Prohibited or Restricted Firearm with Ammunition, S. 95(1)(a) CC;
– Possession of a Firearm, Prohibited or Restricted Weapon Obtained by Crime, s. 96(1) CC;
– Careless use of a Firearm, s. 86(1) CC; and
– Fail to Comply with Condition of Release Order, s. 145(5)(a) CC.
MIRZA made his first court appearance on these charges in Provincial Court at 9:30 a.m. on Monday, April 25, 2022.