A 15 year-old male is facing a total of eight charges, most of them weapons charges for his alleged use of a firearm in an incident on Sunday.
On Sunday, May 15, 2022 at about 1:05 p.m. police were dispatched to the 1400 block of Princess Street for a report of a disturbance. A caller indicated they’d heard what sounded like gunshots nearby. Police arrived and their search of the area located a male youth who was identified as being wanted on outstanding warrants. The youth was arrested and further investigation led to the recovery of a sawed-off firearm. Officers also found what appeared to bullet holes in a garage on the same property. The youth was subsequently charged.
The 15 year-old accused cannot be named in accordance with the provisions of the Youth Criminal Justice Act. He is facing the following charges:
– 2 X Careless Use of a Firearm, s. 86(1) CC;
– Possession of a Weapon for a Purpose Dangerous to Public Peace, s. 88 CC;
– Possession of a Firearm Knowing its Possession is Unauthorized, s. 92(1) CC;
– Possession of a Prohibited or Restricted Firearm with Ammunition, s. 95(1)(a) CC;
– Discharge a Restricted Firearm or Prohibited Firearm in a Reckless Manner, s. 244.2(1)(a) CC;
– Possession of a Firearm Obtained by Crime, s. 96(1) CC; and
– Fail to Comply with Conditions of Release, s. 145(4)(a) CC.
The accused youth made his first court appearance on these charges in Youth Court at 9:30 a.m. on Monday, May 16, 2022.