On Friday, July 8, 2022, the Regina Police Service Drug Unit (RDU), with the assistance of the Street Crimes Unit and K9, completed an investigation and enforcement action, in relation to drug trafficking within the City of Regina. A CDSA search warrant was executed on a residence in Balgonie, Saskatchewan. As a result of the enforcement, 39 year-old Mathew James McDONALD of Balgonie, Saskatchewan was arrested and charged in relation to the investigation.
During the execution of the search warrant, the following was seized:
- 2169.31 grams of fentanyl;
- 1418.01 grams of cocaine;
- 914.14 grams of methamphetamine;
- $8,765 in Canadian Currency;
- Sawed-off .22 calibre rifle: and
- Digital scales, packaging and other items to support cocaine trafficking.
At the conclusion of the enforcement, McDONALDwas charged with the following offences:
- Possession for the purpose of trafficking cocaine – S.5(2) CDSA;
- Possession for the purpose of trafficking methamphetamine – S. 5(2) CDSA;
- Possession for the purpose of trafficking fentanyl – S. 5(2) CDSA;
- Proceeds Over $5000 – S.355(a) CC;
- Careless use of a firearm/ Contravention of storage regulations – S. 86(2) CC; and
- Unauthorized possession of a firearm – S. 91 CC.
McDONALD made his first court appearance on these charges in Provincial Court on Monday, July 11, 2022.