Two males and a female are facing charges in connection with an investigation into the possession of a vehicle that was stolen back in mid-July and only just recovered this past weekend. Recovery of the vehicle led to the discovery of a sawed-off shotgun and numerous charges for one of the suspects.
On July 15, 2022, police received a report from a vehicle owner, reporting that her 2006 Chev Impala was stolen. Two weeks later, on July 30, 2022, a member of the Canine Unit spotted a vehicle being driven in a suspicious manner. The driver was actively trying to avoid being followed by the police vehicle. A check of the license plate showed the plate had been reported stolen, and the vehicle was a grey Impala, matching the description of the vehicle stolen in mid-July. Members of the Stolen Auto Unit were able to take over the investigation and arrested three individuals in the 200 block of Albert Street North. A search of the stolen vehicle yielded a sawed-off shotgun and a second stolen license plate. All three suspects were charged with the possession of the stolen vehicle. A 31 year-old male was charged in connection with the firearm.
Thirty-one year-old Axyl Tyler MAHINGEN, and 37 year-old Kevin Frank SEVERIGHT, both of Regina, as well as 35 year-old Laura Agnes RUNNS, of Indian Head, are jointly charged with Possession of Property Obtained by Crime under $5,000 (vehicle), s. 355(b) CC.
In addition, Axyl MAHINGEN is charged with:
- 2 X Possession of Property Obtained by Crime under $5,000 (license plates), s. 355(b) CC;
- Operation of a Conveyance While Prohibited, s. 320.18(1)(a) CC;
- 6 X Possession of Firearm or Ammunition Contrary to Order, s. 117.01(1) CC;
- Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm, s. 91(1) CC;
- Possession of a Firearm Knowing its Possession is Unauthorized, s. 92(1) CC;
- Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm in a Motor Vehicle, s. 94(1) CC;
- Possession of a Prohibited or Restricted Firearm with Ammunition, s. 95(1)(b) CC; and
- Possession of a Firearm Obtained by Crime, s. 96(1) CC.
MAHINGEN and SEVERIGHT made their first court appearances on their charges in Provincial Court at 9:30 a.m. on Tuesday, August 2, 2022. RUNNS was released on an undertaking to appear in court at a later date.