What began as an investigation into a stolen vehicle, quickly became more complicated when police discovered firearms inside the vehicle, along with the two people, now co-accused in the case.
On Wednesday, August 24, 2022 at approximately 2:54 a.m., police officers on patrol came across a stolen Ford Escape parked in an alley off the 400 block of Arthur Street. Upon closer observation, officers found a male and female inside the car, and also spotted a sawed-off shotgun on the floor of the vehicle. The two occupants were arrested for a weapons offence and possession of the stolen vehicle. Further investigation, including a search of the vehicle, yielded a sawed-off .22 calibre (loaded), bear spray, .22 calibre ammunition, a shotgun shell, methamphetamine and fentanyl.
The accused are 18 year-old Timber Mabele NASHACAPPO (female), and 28 year-old River Rain PETERS (male), both of Regina. They are jointly charged with:
- 2 X Unauthorized possession of a firearm, s. 91(1) CC;
- 2 X Unauthorized possession of a firearm in a motor vehicle, 94(1) CC;
- 2 X Possession of a prohibited or restricted firearm with ammunition, s. 95(1)(a) CC;
- 2 X Tampering with the serial number of a firearm, s. 108(1)(a) CC;
- Possession of a weapon for a purpose dangerous to public peace (bear spray), s. 88 CC;
- 2 X Store firearm contrary to regulations, s. 86(2) CC; and
- Possession of property obtained by crime (vehicle) over $5,000, s. 355(a) CC.
In addition, River Rain PETERS is charged with:
- Breach of probation, s. 733.1(1) CC;
- Possession of a scheduled substance (fentanyl), s. 4(1) CDSA; and
- Possession of a scheduled substance (methamphetamine), s. 4(1) CDSA.
Timber Mabele NASHACAPPO is also charged with Possession of a scheduled substance (methamphetamine), s. 4(1) CDSA.
Both accused persons made their first court appearance on these charges in Provincial Court at 2:00 p.m. on Wednesday, August 24, 2022.