A 13 year-old youth has been charged in connection with a firearms offence in Regina overnight.
Just before midnight on Tuesday, September 27, 2022, the Regina Police Service Communications Centre received a call from an individual who had received photos showing a firearm from an acquaintance. The photos were passed on to Patrol officers who located the sender of the photos near an apartment in the 3800 block of Retallack Street. This individual was arrested on an unrelated outstanding warrant. Further investigation led officers to obtain consent to search a nearby apartment. In the search, police discovered a sawed-off .22 calibre rifle. A male youth was arrested, without incident, at that location and charged.
The accused cannot be named in accordance with the provisions of the Youth Criminal Justice Act. A 13 year-old male youth has been charged with:
- Possession of a firearm (sawed-off .22) knowing its possession is unauthorized, s. 92(1) CC;
- Store firearm contrary to regulations, s. 86(2) CC;
- Possession of a weapon for a purpose dangerous to public peace, s. 88 CC;
- Possession of a firearm contrary to prohibition, s. 117>01(1) CC;
- Obstruct peace officer, s. 129(a) CC; and
- Fail to comply with conditions of release order, s. 145(5)(a) CC.
The accused made his first court appearance on these charges in Youth Court at 9:30 a.m. on Wednesday, September 28, 2022.