A 39 year-old Regina male is facing more than 40 charges after an investigation led by the RPS Financial Crimes Unit.
On numerous occasions between August and October 2022, a suspect male attended to multiple financial institutions in Saskatchewan (including in Regina, Moose Jaw, and Saskatoon) where he opened fraudulent bank accounts under different identities. The suspect male deposited fraudulent cheques into the accounts and subsequently withdrew large sums of money.
Through investigation, police identified the suspect male as Jeffery CROSS and a warrant was issued for his arrest. On October 4, 2022, CROSS attended to a bank in the 4000 block of Albert Street in Regina where he again attempted to fraudulently open an account. Police were called and attended to the bank. Members of the RPS Financial Crimes Unit arrested CROSS and he was taken into custody. In a search incident to arrest, he was found to be in possession of multiple fraudulent identity documents.
As a result of further police investigation, a search warrant was executed on a vehicle associated with CROSS. During the search, police located and seized stolen mail from numerous victims, identification documents from numerous victims, stolen cheques, as well as a firearm and ammunition.
Police investigation by the RPS Property Crimes Unit also identified CROSS as a suspect in two break and enters where mailboxes were pried open and personal mail was stolen.
- August 4, 2022 at an apartment complex on Davidson Crescent
- August 18, 2022 at an apartment complex on Munroe Place
Through the course of the investigation, police learned that more than 40 victims had their identity or mail stolen and used fraudulently.
As a result: 39 year-old Jeffery Vincent CROSS, of Regina, has been charged with:
- 9 X Identity Theft [CC 402.2 (1)];
- 4 X Identity Fraud [CC 403 (1)(A)];
- 7 X Forgery [CC 367];
- 9 X Possession of Property Obtained By Crime Under $5000 [CC 354 (1)(A)];
- Possession of Property Obtained By Crime Under $5000 [CC 355 (B)];
- Theft Over $5000 [CC 334 (A)];
- Fraud Over $5000 [CC 380 (1)(A)];
- Theft Under $5000 [CC 344 (B)];
- Fraud Under $5000 [CC 380 (1)(B)];
- Possession of Stolen Mail [CC 356 (1)(B)];
- Forgery/Make False Document [CC 366 (1)(A)];
- Possession of a Prohibited/Restricted Weapon Knowing Possession is Unauthorized [CC 92(2)];
- Possession of a Prohibited/Restricted Firearm With Ammunition [CC 95 (1)(B)];
- Unauthorized Possession of Firearm in Motor Vehicle [CC 94 (1)];
- 2 X Possession of a Firearm/Ammunition Contrary to Prohibition Order [CC 117.01 (1)];
- Break Enter & Commit [CC 348 (1)(B)]; (Munroe Place)
- Break Enter & Commit [CC 348 (1)(B)]; (Davidson Crescent)
- Possession of a Scheduled Substance [CDSA 4 (1)];
- 4 X Failure To Comply with Probation Order [CC 733.1 (1)].
CROSS made his first court appearance on some of these charges in Provincial Court on October 5, 2022. Additional charges were added and he made a second court appearance on October 17, 2022.
**Theft of mail or personal documents may seem like a minor offence, but it can result in identity information being stolen or used fraudulently. The Regina Police Service asks that citizens please report theft of mail or personal ID to police.