A 28 year-old Regina male is facing numerous weapons-related charges after a police investigation into suspicious activity in the early-morning hours of Sunday, December 18, 2022.
At approximately 4:55 a.m., on Sunday, December 18, 2022, police officers were doing an area search in the Glen Elm Park neighbourhood, looking for a vehicle that had recently evaded police. They noticed a cab in the area and had it followed, believing it may lead to the suspicious vehicle and suspects. The cab went to the area of College Avenue and MacDonald Street, where officers observed the occupants from the cab placing an object in a recycling bin. The object was a loaded firearm. A canine track from the bin led to an address on College Avenue, where a male suspect was located and taken into custody without incident. Police also located another firearm in the residence, along with ammunition, various bladed weapons and an expandable baton. A 28 year-old suspect was charged.
Twenty-eight year-old Thomas James HUSLI-HAYGARTH, of Regina, is facing eight criminal charges:
- Careless use of a firearm, (sawed-off shotgun), s. 86(1) CC;
- Careless use of a firearm, (sawed-off .22 calibre rifle), s. 86(1) CC;
- Possession of a loaded or restricted firearm, s. 95(1) CC;
- Unauthorized possession of a prohibited or restricted weapon, 91(2) CC;
- 2 X Unauthorized possession of a firearm, s. 91(1) CC;
- Carrying a concealed weapon, s. 90 CC; and
- Possession of a weapon for a purpose dangerous to public peace, s. 88 CC.
HUSLI-HAYGARTH made his first court appearance on these charges in Provincial Court at 9:30 a.m. on Monday, December 19, 2022 (today).