On Wednesday, March 8, 2023, police were dispatched to the 6200 block of Balzer Street for the report of a mischief. Information received was that a male was attempting to light a fire.
When police arrived and attempted to speak to the male, he got into a vehicle and fled. This vehicle was observed by police to be driving in a dangerous manner, at high rates of speed, throughout the city. The vehicle was identified as a vehicle recently stolen from Balgonie, and with a recently stolen license plate not corresponding to the vehicle.
Police successfully deployed a tire deflation device but the vehicle continued to drive with deflated tires both in and outside the city of Regina.
The male suspect then abandoned the first stolen vehicle and then stole another vehicle that was running with doors unlocked in Emerald Park.
The male suspect then drove this stolen vehicle back to Regina where a tire deflation device was deployed and caused damage to the tires. This stolen vehicle then drove south of Regina and the vehicle finally came to a stop at a farm yard where police performed a high-risk vehicle stop and arrested the male.
The male was identified and found to be the subject of warrants and in violation of conditions of a release order and conditions of probation. A search of the male yielded a knife and identity documents not belonging to the male.
Police investigation determined the male to also be involved in the following incidents:
- On March 3, 2023, in which a vehicle was stolen on the 2300 block of Quance Street East; and
- On March 6, 2023, a vehicle was stolen at a business on the 900 block of Dewdney Avenue.
Thirty-one year-old Justin Warner MCDONALD, of Regina, is charged with:
- 2 X Possession of Property Obtained by Crime Over $5,000 [CC 355(A)];
- Possession of Property Obtained by Crime Under $5,000 [CC 355(B)];
- 2 X Dangerous Drive [CC 320.13(1)];
- Theft of Motor Vehicle [CC 333.1(1)];
- Flight from Peace Officer [CC 320.17];
- 2 X Identity Fraud – Possession of Identity Document [CC 56.1(1)]
- Fail to Comply with Probation Order [CC 733.1(1)]; and
- Fail to Comply with Release Order [CC 145(5)(A)].
MCDONALD appeared in Provincial Court on these charges today, Thursday, March 9, 2023, at 2:00 p.m.