A Regina male is facing multiple charges after an investigation into a string of violent offences.
On Tuesday, April 18, 2023, police received a report that an adult male had been held against his will and shot inside a residence in the 1200 block of Angus Street. On Thursday, April 20, 2023, police received a report that an adult female had been assaulted and held against her will inside a residence in the 1200 block of Angus Street. Both victims were transported to hospital by EMS to be treated for their injuries.
On Friday, April 21, 2023, members of the Street Gang Unit and the Property Crimes Unit attended to a residence in the 1200 block of Retallack Street to continue investigation into the two offences. While on scene, police heard a firearm discharge from inside the residence. Through investigation, it was determined that a person was being held against their will inside the residence at the time.
Additional Patrol units, as well as the Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) team and Crisis Negotiation Team (CNT) attended to the location to assist in the police operation. Through negotiation, several people exited the residence and were taken into police custody without incident. The female victim also exited the residence; EMS was not required.
Police obtained a search warrant for the residence in the 1200 block of Retallack Street and recovered multiple firearms, ammunition and body armor.
As a result, thirty-six year-old Owen Rilley BURHOF, of Regina, has been charged with:
- 3 X Forcible Confinement [CC 279 (2)];
- 2 X Aggravated Assault [CC 268 (1)];
- Assault With A Weapon [CC 267 (A)];
- Armed Robbery Using A Firearm [CC 344 (1) (A.1)];
- 2 X Uttering Threats [CC 264.1 (1)(A)];
- Discharge Firearm In A Reckless Manner [CC 244.2 (1)(B)];
- Carry Concealed Weapon [CC 90];
- Careless Storage of Firearm [CC 86 (2)];
- 4 X Possession of Firearm or Ammunition Contrary to Prohibition Order [CC 177.01 (1)];
- Possession of Firearm Knowing Its Possession is Unauthorized [CC 92 (1)]
- Possession of Scheduled Substance [CDSA 4 (1)].
BURHOF made his first court appearance on these charges in Provincial Court on Monday, April 24, 2023 at 9:30 a.m.