On April 15, 2023, at approximately 6:00 a.m., members of the Regina Police Service were dispatched to a report of a street robbery with a firearm in the 1400 block of Garnet Street. Police arrived on scene and the 16 year-old male suspect fled on foot. After a short foot pursuit, the suspect was taken into custody without incident. When police searched the male suspect incident to arrest, they located and seized a loaded .22 caliber rifle concealed in his jacket as well as additional ammunition in his pants pocket. The initial complainant of the robbery was uncooperative and would not provide a statement to police.
A sixteen year-old male who cannot be named in accordance with provisions of the Youth Criminal Justice Act, is charged with:
- Possession of a Weapon for a Dangerous Purpose [CC 88]
- Possession of Firearm Knowing Possession is Unauthorized [CC 92(1)]
- Carry a Concealed Weapon [CC 90]
- Possession of a Prohibited Firearm with Ammunition [CC 95(1)(a)]
- Possession of a Firearm Knowing Serial Number has been Tampered With [CC 108(1)(b)]
- Prohibited Possession Contrary to an Order [CC 117.01(1)] X 2
The youth will make his first court appearance on these charges in Provincial Court at 9:30 a.m. on Monday, April 17, 2023.