You may be driving to, or just passing through, but each time you encounter a school zone in Regina, the Regina Police Service urges you to follow the posted traffic instructions.
- School zone speed is 30 km/h; 7 days a week, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- No U-Turns in school zones
- You MUST stop at marked crosswalks when pedestrians are waiting to cross
- Do not stop in marked ‘no parking’ zones
Over the last several weeks, both police and residents have noticed an increase in drivers who are disobeying traffic safety regulations in school zones. School zones are hubs of activity; students are getting on and off of buses, parents and caregivers are picking up and dropping off children, and kids are walking, running and biking in the area. Given the congestion in areas around local schools, it is integral that drivers are being attentive to posted speed limits and other signage.
Members of the Regina Police Service Traffic Safety Unit are committed to increasing presence in school zones to monitor traffic and driver behavior, and hand out tickets when necessary.
- Pay attention to pedestrian crossing lights and Safety Patrollers.
- Do not make U-turns.
- Do not park in ‘no stopping’ zones; even briefly to pick up or drop off children.
- Do not drive distracted.
- Always cross the street at a marked crosswalk or intersection; no jaywalking.
- Look both ways before crossing a street; wait for a vehicle to make a complete stop before you cross.
We all have a role to play in keeping our community safe. The Regina Police Service thanks motorists for their attention to this matter.