Beginning in early May, 2023, members of Regina Police Service Property Crimes Unit, with the assistance of Community Services Division, began an investigation into a string of residential break and enters with similar methods of operation. These occurrences were originally concentrated to neighborhoods in northwest Regina, but eventually expanded to other areas of Regina. The break and enters resulted in the theft of personal belongings of the victims, including vehicles and identification and banking documents. The most recent occurrence resulted in the theft of multiple firearms. Through investigation, members were able to identify a suspect, a 17 year-old male, who was arrested on June 13, 2023.
A 17 year-old male, who will not be named in keeping with the provisions of the Youth Criminal Justice Act, is charged with:
- 9 X Break, Enter & Commit Theft [CC 348(1)(B)];
- Break, Enter, & Steal Firearm [CC 98(1)(B)];
- 4 X Fraud under $5,000 [CC 380(1)(B)];
- 2 X Theft Under $5,000 [CC 344(B)];
- 1 X Mischief Under $5,000 [CC 430(4)];
- 3 X Theft of Motor Vehicle [CC 333.1(1)];
- Possession of Property Obtained by Crime Over $5,000 [CC 355(A)];
- 3 X Possession of Firearm Knowing Its Possession Unauthorized [CC 92(1)];
- 8 X Possess Firearm/Ammunition Contrary to Prohibition Order [CC 117.01(1)];
- 3 X Possess Prohibited/Restricted Firearm With Ammunition [CC 95(1)(A)]; and
- 17 X Fail to Comply [YCJA 137] / [CC 733.1(1)] / [CC 145(5)(A)].
The accused made his first appearance on these charges in Provincial Youth Court on June 14, 2023. He was subsequently remanded with a next appearance scheduled for June 19, 2023.