On Tuesday, August 8, 2023, at approximately 11:20 p.m., police observed a suspicious vehicle in the area of Pasqua Street and 3rd Avenue. Police officers attempted a traffic stop but the driver evaded police. The vehicle was tracked by the Regina Police Service Aerial Support Unit (ASU) to Bird Bay, where police used thermal imaging via the high resolution camera to observe the three occupants exit. Police were also able to observe a bag being thrown onto a roof by one of the occupants, which was later recovered and searched.
The ASU followed the suspects as they walked through a green space to Reibling Bay and hid. ASU directed officers on the ground police as they set up a perimeter around the area. A 33 year-old male suspect was located and arrested. The two other suspects, a 51 year-old male and a 29 year-old female, refused to come out of hiding and were located by the Regina Police Service Canine Unit. The 51 year-old male was bitten by a Police Service Dog and transported to hospital for assessment and treatment of his wounds.
A search yielded stolen identity documents, as well as ammunition.
Fifty-one year-old Rodger KING, of Regina, is charged with:
- Resist Arrest [129(A)];
- Flight from Peace Officer [CC 320.17];
- Fail to Comply [CC 733.1(1)].
Twenty-nine year-old Cheyanne Marie Lynn LAFERTE, of Regina, is charged with:
- Obstruct Peace Officer [CC 129(A)];
- 2 X Identity Fraud – Possession of an Identity Document [CC 56.1(1)]; and
- Fail to Comply with Probation Order [CC 733.1(1)].
Thirty-three year-old Keith Campbell SCHELL, of Regina, is charged with:
- 2 X Possession of Firearm/Ammunition Contrary to Prohibition Order [CC 117.01(1)];
- 4 X Theft Under $5000 [CC 344(B)];
- 4 X Possession of Property Obtained by Crime Under $5,000 [CC 355(B)];
- 4 X Identity Fraud – Possession of an Identity Document [CC 56.1(1)].
KING and SCHELL make their first appearance on these charges in Provincial Court today, August 9, 2023, at 2:00 p.m. LAFERTE was released on an undertaking and scheduled to make her first appearance on these charges on Thursday, September 21, 2023, at 9:30 a.m.