The Regina Police Service Drug Unit (RDU), with the assistance of Patrol officers, the Aerial Support Unit and the Canine Unit has completed an investigation in relation to illegal drug trafficking in Regina.
On October 31, 2023, police initiated a traffic stop on a vehicle on Broadway Avenue and Wallace Street. As a Patrol officer approached the vehicle, the driver of the vehicle drove away. The Aerial Support Unit (ASU) observed the vehicle from the air until it parked in the 900 block of Queen Street. ASU notified officers on the ground that the driver had exited the vehicle on foot. The male driver was taken into police custody.
Following the arrest, police executed two CDSA search warrants, one on a residence in the 1000 block of Queen Street, and one on a vehicle. As a result, police recovered:
- Just over 1 kilogram of cocaine (approximately 1100 grams)
- Approximately $1,800 in Canadian currency
- Additional items used to traffic controlled substances
As a result of police investigation and enforcement, 26 year-old Claude SOBRINHO, of Toronto, Ontario, has been charged with:
- Possession of a Scheduled Substance For the Purpose of Trafficking [CDSA 5 (2)];
- Possession of Proceeds of Property Obtained By Crime [CC 355 (B)];
- Flight From Peace Officer [CC 320.17].
SOBRINHO will make his first court appearance on these charges in Provincial Court on December 14, 2023 at 9:30 a.m.