The National Weapons Enforcement Support Team (NWEST) is part of the Canadian Firearms Program. It is an integrated unit consisting of the RCMP and municipal police services; in the Western region that includes BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. In Saskatchewan, NWEST is made up of one RCMP Corporal (Regina), one Regina Police Service Corporal and one Saskatoon Police Service Sergeant.
NWEST is designed to combat gun crime, smuggling of firearms and to support law enforcement agencies during firearms investigations. It was established to support front line police agencies in the gathering of evidence in order to assist them in successfully prosecuting persons involved in the illegal movement and criminal use of firearms. NWEST members are available to the policing and law enforcement community to enhance best practices, in areas where experience is not yet in place as a day to day tool. Some of the services provided to police agencies by NWEST includes:
- Assist with charge recommendations.
- Assist with the classification of firearms.
- Assist with obtaining affidavits for firearm licenses and registered firearms from the Canadian Firearms Office.
- Assist with firearm trace reports form the Canadian National Firearms Tracing Centre (CNFTC).
- Assist with firearm Public Safety Seizures with or without warrant, and Criminal Code search warrants for firearms.
- Assist with the Application for Prohibition Orders.